MESMA newsletters and general information
- Newsletter 1 - February 2011 (PDF)
- Newsletter 2 - February 2012 (PDF)
- Newsletter 3 - April 2013 (PDF)
- General flyer (PDF) (June 2010)
- EU factsheet (PDF) (Dec 2009)
- General powerpoint (PDF) (March 2010)
To receive newsletters: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or
join the MESMA Linked-in group!
MESMA scientific articles and working papers
- Qiu W, Jones PJS (2013) The emerging policy landscape for marine spatial planning in Europe. Marine Policy 39:182-190
- Johnson K, Kerr S, Side J (2013) Marine renewables and coastal communities—Experiences from the offshore oil industry in the 1970s and their relevance to marine renewables in the 2010s. Marine Policy 38:491-499
- Stelzenmüller V, Breen P, Stamford T, Thomsen F, Badalamenti F, Borja Á, Buhl-Mortensen L, Carlstöm J, D’Anna G, Dankers N, Degraer S, Dujin M, Fiorentino F, Galparsoro I, Giakoumi S, Gristina M, Johnson K, Jones PJS, Katsanevakis S, Knittweis L, Kyriazi Z, Pipitone C, Piwowarczyk J, Rabaut M, Sørensen TK, van Dalfsen J, Vassilopoulou V, Vega Fernández T, Vincx M, Vöge S, Weber A, Wijkmark N, Jak R, Qiu W, ter Hofstede R (2013) Monitoring and evaluation of spatially managed areas: A generic framework for implementation of ecosystem based marine management and its application. Marine Policy 37:149-164
- Giakoumi S, Katsanevakis S, Vassilopoulou V, Panayotidis P, Kavadas S, Issaris Y, Kokkali A, Frantzis A, Panou A, Mavrommati G (2012) Could European marine conservation policy benefit from systematic conservation planning? (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aqc.2273/full). Aquatic Conserv: Mar Freshw Ecosyst 22:762-775
- Issaris et al. (2012) Ecological mapping and data quality assessment for the needs of ecosystem-based marine spatial management: case study Greek Ionian Sea and the adjacant gulf. Mediterranean Marine Science 13(2) 297-311
- Johnson K, Kerr S, Side J (2012) Accommodating wave and tidal energy – Control and decision in Scotland. Ocean & Coastal Management 65:26-33
- Jones PJS (2012) Marine protected areas in the UK: challenges in combining top-down and bottom-up approaches to governance. Environmental Conservation 39:248-258
- Salomidi et al. (2012) Assessment of goods and services, vulnerability, and conservation status of European seabed biotopes: a stepping stone towards ecosystem based marine spatial management. Mediterranean Marine Science 13(1): 49-88
- Katsanevakis S, Weber A, Pipitone C, Leopold M, Cronin M, Scheidat M, Doyle T, Buhl-Mortensen L, Buhl-Mortensen P, D’Anna G, de Boois I, Dalpadado P, Damalas D, Fiorentino F, Garofalo G, Giacalone VM, Hawley KL, Issaris Y, Jansen J, Knight CM, Knittweis L, Kröncke I, Mirto S, Muxika I, Reiss H, Skjoldal HR, Vöge S (2012) Monitoring marine populations and communities: methods dealing with imperfect detectability. Aquatic Biology 16: 31-52
- Katsanevakis et al. (2011) Ecosystem ‐ based marine spatial management: review of concepts, policies, approaches, and critical issues. Ocean and Coastal Management, 54: 807‐820. In this paper the state of the art of ecosystem-based marine spatial management is given.
- Deliverable 1.1. Review Document on the Management of Marine Areas with particular regard on Concepts, Objectives, Frameworks and Tools to Implement, Monitor, and Evaluate Spatially Managed Areas (PDF).
- Deliverable 1.2 Catalogue of European seabed biotopes (PDF). This catalogue provides information for the majority of the EU seabed biotopes following the EUNIS system. We focused on sublittoral, fully marine EUNIS habitat types at level-4 and beyond. In total, we compiled 67 biotopes at EUNIS-4 level (including Black Sea), and 27 sub-biotopes at EUNIS levels 5 and 6.
- Deliverable 5.1. Guide to MetadataTools, Data Access Portal and Data Inventory (PDF). This report decribes how MESMA deals with spatial data, how such data is described with metadata and how data can be found on a geoportal.
- Deliverable 7.6 MESMA Video (MOVIE) The video illustrates the content and relevance of the MESMA project.
- Deliverable 7.7 Google Earth file showing the case studies
- 'A close look at marine spatial management in the Southern North Sea.' By Ellen Pecceu, Kris Hostens et al. (ILVO: an ocean of Opportunity, 11 Feb 2011; Vliz Young marine scientists’ day, 25 feb 2011; Studiedag: Mariene Aggregaatextractie, 17 Oct 2011)
- Wadden Sea Governance Analysis (International Symposium on the Ecology of the Wadden Sea, Texel, 10-14 Oct 2011) (PDF)
- MESMA: un progetto europeo per la gestione spaziale delle risorse. Il caso dello Stretto di Sicilia (42nd Congr Italian Soc Mar Biol, Olbia, 23-28 May 2011) (PDF)
- 'Marine Spatial Management - Climate Change' (PDF) (ICES Ann. Conf. Nantes, Sept 2010)
- 'It's all about weighing interests' (PDF) (ICES Ann. Conf. Nantes, Sept 2010)
- Governing Marine Protected Areas - resilience through diversity. P. Jones (ULC). Global Marine Protected Area Enforcement conference, 26 November 2012, San Fransisco, USA (PDF)
- MESMA and the Wadden Sea. S. Vöge, A. Slob, T. Geerdink, C. Röckmann. Wadden Sea Forum 21th meeting, 13-14 November 2012, Leck, Germany (PDF)
- 'MPA's in England: context and challenges'. Dr. Peter Jones (UCL) at the conference on Marine Conservation: Marine protected Area implication: working together to achieve sustainable development (London, 8th Nov 2012) (PDF)
- MESMA dissimination strategy. Presentation at the 'Open Stakeholder Workshop to Explore the Challenges to Effective Knowledge Capture and Transfer', organised by EU project MarineTT (www.marinett.eu). Brussels, 23 May 2012.
- MESMA: An integrated tool box to support an ecosystem based spatial management of marine areas. Presentation at ICES conference 'Marine Strategy 2012', 14-16 May 2012, Copenhagen (PDF)
- 'Effective governance frameworks to implement ecosystem-based management: ecological connectivity through institutional connectivity' at the UNEP Global Conference on Land Ocean Interactions (Manila, The Philippines, Jan 2012) (PDF)
- 'Governance, Planning and the European Ambition for Marine Space' at the Conference of Coastal Management 2011 (Belfast, Nov 2011) (PDF)
- 'MESMA: for sustainable use of European seas and coastal areas' at the Wadden Sea Forum – ICES WGICZM (Hamburg, Sept 2011)
- 'What social values are held for our seas and how can they be taken into account in management decisions?' at the Coastal Futures 2010: Review and future trends (London, Jan 2010)
MESMA Case Study reports
Vega Fernández T, Pace ML, Badalamenti F, D’Anna G, Fiorentino F, Garofalo G, Gristina M, Knittweis L, Mirto M, Pipitone C (2012). Application of the MESMA Framework. Case Study: Strait of Sicily. MESMA report, 320 pp (PDF)
MESMA workshop reports
- Stakeholder Workshop Inverness Schotland (PDF)
MESMA technical publications
- MESMA Glossary (webpage) (June 2011)
- MESMA Glossary (PDF) (June 2011)
- Marine Spatial Planning Tools (webpage)
- MESMA spatial data: GEONETWORK (webpage)
- Overview of emerging EU policies for MSP (PDF) (Nov 2011)
- Google Earth file showing case studies
- Article in staff magazine of Deltares ('Ruimtelijke ordening op zee: een zee van ruimte, of toch niet?' Deltaresponse, Deltares Personeelsblad 14, juni 2011) (PDF in Dutch)